LITERACY: In Reading Workshop we continued our unit on Pattern Books. Students are learning to use the pictures and first letters to figure out tricky words. We are also learning to check our reading by asking, Does it look right? Does it sound right? Does it make sense? In Writing Workshop we began our unit on Pattern Books. Students are learning to plan their books by choosing a topic, thinking about what they want to say, and establishing a pattern. They practiced checking to make sure all pages go together and make sense, and practiced using their picture to provide meaning to their reader. We continue to practice building our snap words in tactile stations with sand, play doh, wikki stix, stamps, and whiteboards.
MATH: This week we continued our unit on Measurement. Students explored volume and capacity by observing containers of different sizes and shapes and pouring rice into containers and between containers. We used the phrases more than, less than, and the same as in our comparisons. Students also began to compare sets to find if there are enough for a 1-1 match.
- Today Mr. Mike from Premier Pet Supply came to visit our classroom! He helped us set up the habitat for our science kit animals (so far we have goldfish and guppies) and taught us about what the animals need to live. We will continue our animals study next week!
- Join the Beverly community on Tuesday, January 15th from 6:30-8:00 pm for Family Math Night. Enjoy an evening of fun games and activities, including a hands-on station with The Robot Garage!
- For the upcoming district-wide day of service on MLK, Jr. Day, each BPS school has been asked to collect an item, either for inclusion in the DRAW (Disaster Relief at Work) buckets or in the Care bags for Brightmoor Initiative. Beverly’s collection is WASHCLOTHS for the Care bags. Our goal is 200 new washcloths. Please send in new washcloths through January 18. A collection bucket will be in the lobby. Thanks for your support!
- Schools will be closed on Monday, January 21st for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Click here to learn about the Day On, Day One program at Groves (for students grades K-12 and their families). Click here for Metro Parent’s 2019 list of events. Click here to learn about an MLK Children & Youth program offered at U of M’s Ann Arbor campus!
- Go Orange for Muscular Dystrophy is on Friday, February 1st. Encourage your child to wear orange on this day to support students with MD!
Let’s have a wonderful week!