LITERACY: In Reading Workshop we continued to our build strong reading habits in the area of informational (nonfiction) text. Students learned how to use pictures and think about what they already know to help them read, how to use gestures to teach the information they’ve learned, and how to read using an expert voice. We also started our listen to reading routine this week. A few days each week students will use the RAZ Kids app on our class iPads to access digital books at their individual reading level. We’ll practice for a few weeks in class, then I’ll send home the login information so your child can access this tool at home. In Writing Workshop we wrapped our unit on oral language. Students learned how to think of a meaningful story from their life, and how to plan their story by thinking about an idea and rehearsing to self or with a buddy. This week we discovered Uu, Qq, Ww, Xx, and Yy. We continue to name and trace letters and identify their sounds – please keep practicing these skills at home with your child’s letter tracing book. Letters from this week were especially tricky when students named their matching sound. 🙂
MATH: This week we continued our work with numbers 0-6. In addition to writing numerals, students will count, represent numbers in different ways, decompose numbers, and answer how many questions.
- Our class will visit Bowers Farm on Monday, October 14th from 1:00-2:30. Thanks for turning in your permission slips! Please help your child to remember to wear appropriate shoes and clothing for walking around outside. 🙂
- Join the Beverly community for a PTA meeting on Tuesday, October 15th at 7 pm!
- Picture Retake Day will be on Thursday, October 17th. Photos from the first session came home last week. Please let me know if you would like your child to have retakes.
- Friday, October 25th is Wear Teal for Spina Bifida!
- Halloween celebrations will take place the morning of Thursday, October 31st. Your child should come to school dressed in their costume. Remember that costumes must be appropriate for the school setting – please avoid any blood, violent message, weapons, and masks covering the face. The K-2 Sing-A-Long will take place in the gym from 9:45-10:15. The K-5 Parade is scheduled at 10:15, and our class party will be from 10:30-11:45ish. Family members are welcome to join us for all activities. Please RSVP here and be sure to turn in your background check form! Click here to access the SignUpGenius sent by our room parents. Remember – Thursday, October 31st is a half-day and students will be dismissed at 12:05 pm!
- Tuesday, November 5th is a Teacher Records Day – there will be NO SCHOOL for students.
Have a wonderful weekend!