LITERACY: In Reading Workshop we continue to build strong reading habits. Students are learning how to grow their reading stamina, make a plan for reading, and how to look for and read words they know. In Writing Workshop we began our unit on oral language. Students learned how to tell a story about something they know or can do, how to use a strong speaking voice, and how to actively listen when others tell stories. This week we also practiced Gg, Ll, Ee, Vv, and Jj. Earlier this week I sent home an alphabet tracing book. Keep in mind that your child can use this book to help with correct letter formation, even if they are secure in letter identification and sounds!
MATH: This week we represented numbers 0-5 in different configurations, math drawings, and expressions. Students learned how to quickly recognize groups of dots and how to find the hidden partners (see below) in a picture.
SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL: We continued to learn about feelings and place ourselves on the Mood Meter. We are noticing that our theme of being a strong listener is appearing in our Writing Workshop lessons!
- Periodically your child will bring home individual letter books from their book box. Please keep these at home – your child should be able to read these books on their own and can use them toward the 20 minutes per night habit.
- Monday, October 7th is Go Green for Cerebral Palsy!
- Our class will visit Bowers Farm on Monday, October 14th from 1:00-2:30. Thanks for turning in your permission slips! Please help your child to remember to wear appropriate shoes and clothing for walking around outside. 🙂
- Join the Beverly community for a PTA meeting on Tuesday, October 15th at 7 pm!
- Picture Retake Day will be on Thursday, October 17th. Photos from the first session came home yesterday. Please let me know if you would like your child to have retakes.
Have a wonderful weekend!