On to our third week of school! Here’s what we are up to in Kindergarten:
LITERACY: In Reading Workshop we are learning to build strong habits for a lifetime of reading. This week students learned how to talk about book preferences, how to use their imagination to build adventures, and how to care for books. We also learned three ways to read a book: read the pictures, read the words, and retell the story. We continue to learn the names and sounds of letters, and how to write them using correct formation. This week we discovered Pp, Cc, Rr, Nn, and Ii. Your kindergartners are also learning to listen for rhyming words in our songs, poems, and familiar stories. Look for Jack in Jill in your child’s folder today!
K readers digging into books with our “read the pictures” strategy:
MATH: This week we launched our first unit! We began by identifying two objects that are either exactly the same or not exactly the same. Next we analyzed items to find two similar objects, using language such as these are the same but… Then we classified to find two objects that share a visual pattern, color, and use.
SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL: Students are beginning to problem-solve with each other in the classroom and on the playground. This week we discovered how to use your BIG voice in conflict resolution.
Shubert books from Conscious Discipline shop
- Thanks for getting those pizza orders in to me by Tuesday morning! Remember, if you’d like your child to have a standing order for the year just let me know and you won’t need to email me every week. 🙂
- Next week we will celebrate our reading interests by sharing our favorite books. Please assist your child in selecting a favorite book from home and send it to school by Friday, September 27th. Please make sure it is labeled with your child’s name – it will be returned to you the following week!
- Thursday, September 26th if a half day of school. Students will have AM school only and will be dismissed at 12:05 pm.
- This week your child brought home a permission slip for our first field trip! Our class will visit Bowers Farm on Monday, October 14th from 1:00-2:30.
- Do you receive Mrs. Vigneron’s weekly eNews emails? Click here to register for the Beverly eNews. You will need to make an account, sign in, then proceed to the options to select your school.
Have a wonderful weekend!