Here’s what we were up to in our short week of school:
LITERACY: In Reading Workshop we wrapped up our unit on Pattern Books. Students reflected on the meaning of their books and shared with others, using the prompt “This book is all about…”. In Writing Workshop we began our unit on Small Moments. We read Bippity Bop Barbershop and noticed the author’s writing strategies. Students are learning to choose a story from one moment, one place in their lives and to stretch that story across multiple pages.
- The Kids Heart Challenge (formerly known as Jump Rope for Heart) began last week. Click here to view the Beverly’s Challenge page.
- The Vocal Music Concert for grades 1-5 is Tuesday, February 5th. Kindergartners will NOT perform in this event. K classes will have their own concerts in the spring. 🙂
- Wednesday, February 6th is a half day of school. Students will have AM school only and will be dismissed at 12:05 pm.
- The 100th Day of School is fast approaching! Due to our recent school cancellations due to weather, we will celebrate on Tuesday, February 12th. Please help your child gather a collection of 100 items to share on this special day. Collections should be non-edible, non-breakable, and should be able to fit in a gallon size (or smaller) zip-storage bag. Ideas include: cards, Lego pieces, paper clips, buttons, pennies, etc. Please label the bag with your child’s name!
- Our Valentine’s Day Party will be on Thursday, February 14th from 11:00 – 11:45 am. If your child would like to bring valentines to distribute, please make sure there are enough for everyone in the class (22 students). Today your child brought home a class list in their folder – addressing the valentines is optional! Some families prefer to have their child just sign the valentines so it’s easier to pass them out. Please remember that we have students in our class who are allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, dairy, and sesame seeds. If your child brings in an edible item, everyone in the class should be able to consume it. Edible items must be made in facilities free of these allergens. Please let me know if you have questions!
Have a wonderful weekend!